diamonds more than engagement rings

Diamonds Can Tell Us Secrets About the World

Big sparkling diamond engagement rings looks great on a ring finger, and they say a lot about the person who chooses to wear one – as well as the person who gave the ring. But what do diamond engagement rings say about the world? More specifically, what can diamonds tell us about the natural phenomena of the world around us? You would be surprised to learn that diamonds can teach us a lot of things. 


The Earliest Use Of Diamonds Was For Polishing Axes

Today, about 60% of the diamonds mined are used for industrial purposes – the other 40% are polished and used for jewelry and accessories. The best of these diamonds are reserved specifically for engagement rings. In Ancient china, though, diamonds were used for polishing axes. This wasn’t just a few hundred years ago – this was about 4,500 hundred years ago. This proves that diamonds have been in circulation – not just for engagement rings, but also for agriculture, for thousands of years.

Diamonds Are Proof That The World Is Really Old

Most scientists will tell you that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old. That’s really old. However, it hasn’t really been proven and there is no concrete proof. Most diamonds, on average, take about 3.3 billion years to form. They know this because they can do carbon tests on the diamonds to figure out the estimated age. This means that the diamond on your ring finger could be billions and billions of years old. It also means that if diamonds are that old, then the earth is probably that age or older. There is almost no other evidence from that long ago proving the age of the earth.


Inclusions Come From Trace Amounts Of Iron Sulphide

Those inclusions you see in diamonds – inclusions that are naturally formed – are from trace amounts of iron sulphide. Iron is found in most soil and sediment, especially deep in the crust of the earth. As the diamond is formed over billions of years, some of this iron and sulphur – otherwise known as iron sulphide – gets inside the diamond. Depending on how rare the diamond is, there may be very little inclusions of iron sulphide visible. This will affect the price of a diamond.


Diamonds Form By A Process Called Redox Freezing

Just recently, scientists found that most diamonds are formed by a process called redox freezing. Over a long time, and because of the heat from the earth’s core and volcanic eruptions, the diamonds heat up and then freeze and then heat up again, and then freeze. Over billions of years, this will ultimately form a diamond. This is fascinating, because through this process, diamonds will earn their unique brilliance, color and size.


The World Was Once Full Of Volcanoes

The diamond formation process tells us a lot of interesting things, but one of the most interesting things is that when diamonds were just starting to form, the world was full of violent volcanoes. Many of these volcanoes are responsible for pushing the diamonds to the surface where they are found today. Sure, many of these volcanoes are gone, or have turned into harmless mounts, but diamonds are a stark reminder of the earth’s violent past.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.